Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First Day of School!

First it's potty training now it's school, what will Mommy subject us to next?

We're not sure about this school business. Mommy has been talking it up for a while now promising we were going to 'LOVE' it. So after researching a number of preschools close to home, she found a school perfect for us. A Montessori-based program right next to the park we go to. It's three days a week (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) from 8:30 - 11:30 and our teachers, Mrs. Cook (Lucy) and Mrs. Scott (Liam) are kind, patient and loving.

Mommy took us there after her initial visit to see if we liked it too. And we did. Of course we did, Mommy and Grammy were there with us and we only stayed for about 15 minutes.

Our next visit (which was just to meet our teachers) was not so good - for Liam. He knew something was going to happen and started resisting before we even left the house. It took Mommy 15 minutes to get him into the car. All the while he was crying and saying, 'Mommy I stay home. I get out Mommy. No Mommy!' It broke Mommy's heart. He did this all the way to school. Lucy sat quietly.

When we got to school, Liam was still crying and did not want to go inside. So Grammy stayed outside with him while Mommy and Lucy went in. After about 2 minutes, Mommy sees Liam's little face peeking through the mail slot on the school door. The school director opened the door and invited him at which point he put his hands in his pant pockets and slowly moseyed in. No more tears.

We went to meet Mrs. Scott and Liam's new school mates. They were having a birthday party for someone so the cookies may have helped lure him in. Plus Grammy was there. Mommy and Lucy quietly snuck out to head over to Mrs. Cook's room.

Lucy walked right into the room and immediately started putting a puzzle together. She didn't look back once. Mommy left the room - no drama.

Today was our official first day - without Mommy and Grammy - wearing our uniforms. We had breakfast, got dressed and into the car - no tears. We got to school and walked Liam to his class room - no tears. We walked Lucy to her class - BIG TEARS. BIG DRAMA. BROKEN HEART.

But, Mommy and Grammy were assured that Mrs. Cook could handle it and if there were problems they'd call. There were no calls.

We were soooooo happy to see them again at pick-up. We got through the day!

Tonight at bath time we talked about our first day at school:

Mommy: "Did you guys have fun at school today?"
Both: "Ya."
Lucy: "Mommy where you go?"
Mommy: "I went grocery shopping and to Target with Grammy."
Lucy: "I go too."
Mommy: "No Lucy, you go to school."
Lucy: "Mommy go cool [school]."
Liam: "Ya, Mommy go."
Mommy: "No. Mommy doesn't go to school."
Liam: "Mommy go!"
Lucy: "Mommy go!"

So far school's ok, but we're not 'LOVING' it yet. Mommy should just go. Do you really think she's going to enjoy the free time?
Lucy insisted on wearing red socks. Liam has discovered how great pockets are.
Here we are, with our tote bags, in front of our new school.

9 comments:

Jeanne said...

I was sitting here needing my L&L fix so I checked the blog and there they are going to school already! How proud Aunt Neannie is of them. So big and smart! I love the hands in the pockets and the red socks. And Mommy? Relax. You are doing such a fab job (with Grammy's help!) I love and miss all of you.
AJ

Jeanne said...

Another comment, or actually a question. How are they being apart? That is new too. Do they say anything about that? Love AJ

BJ said...

Wow...makes me sad and happy at the same time...and makes me think about how Adam will do in preschool this fall. Those two are sure growing up! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is EXCELLENT news. Wow! I can't get over how big and self-assured Liam looks. I loved the writing in the blog entry; it really captured the spirit of this new adventure in the kids' lives. I was laughing hard at Liam's initial reaction and saying to myself "You got it, buddy. They're trying to 'educate' you. Don't fall for it!" Oh, well, school's inevitable, isn't it? And this is a reminder of just how fast Liam and Lucy are growing. Sigh. Uncle Bob

Kathy said...

Wow - another milestone, Nikki. Great job! This one did pull at my heart strings though. I took me a while to enjoy my time when the kids were at school but I knew they needed a little independence and to discover the world without me "feeding" it to them. Give it a few weeks and they'll be asking to go to school more often!

Anonymous said...

Love the photos! Liam and Lucy look so grown up, think it's fantastic for them. Sending lots of love and cuddles from Nannyxxxx

Anonymous said...

Wow they're looking so grown up! Well done Nikki, you're doing a great job.

Auntie Steph

xxx

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you Nikki, and Liam, and Lucy on this sunny day in Toronto.. Went straight to your blog and my "GOSH" they are in the education system already! Just love the photo of them. Enjoy reading your cometary on your blog I felt that i was there. You and Nanny are the Best
G.A Hedy

Anonymous said...

I can't believe time is going so fast - they're not babies anymore! They'll be playing football for England next! Love from grandad