One St. Patrick's Day, a loooooooong time ago when Mommy was a little girl, she asked her father (Opa) why he wasn't wearing green:
Opa: [proudly] "Because I'm Dutch, not Irish."
Mommy: "Do Dutch people have a special day?"
Opa: "No we don't, but we should."
Mommy: "Then we'll make up our own day. What should we call it?"
Opa: "How about, 'Dam Day' (Dam Dag) after the fable about the little boy who sealed a dam with his finger and saved Nederland from flooding?"
Mommy: "Ok. Irish wear green on St. Patrick's Day. What color should we wear?"
Opa: "Well I think we ought to wear Delft blue"
Mommy: "What day should it be?"
Opa: "How about the day after St. Patrick's Day? That way it will be easy to remember year after year?"
And so, Dam Day was established. Every March 18th, Mommy and Opa have their special holiday.
Now that we've entered the world (and we're a quarter Dutch) there are 4 people who celebrate Dam Day.
Of course you know what that means...
...another ridiculous picture of us. Thank god for Photoshop! Happy Dam Day!
6 comments:
This brought tears to my eyes. I love it! Now I have 3 little "dutchies"....Mommy, Liam and Lucy. HAPPY DAM DAG
Opa s dad had a bakery and the trade mark was 2 little dutch kids. The pictures of you both remind me of Tastie pasties bakery that your great grandpa had.
Love ya Opa
Wow, Nikki - you're dangerous with the photoshop....talented but dangerous! LOVE IT..
Woops - logged in as Tim ...It's ME - KATHY!
Happy Dam Dag!
You can do some creepy things with photoshop Nikki!
Love Lauren in Australia
So Funny, I have a feeling your kids are going to be pulling all sorts of pranks and spoofs on you.
Jen
Post a Comment