And one guess who it was for. Liam. That's right, this morning during breakfast he kicked himself (while strapped in his highchair) away from the counter, fell backwards and landed HARD on his head. Mommy almost caught him before he tipped over but couldn't make it in time - it happened so fast but for her it was like slow motion. And when Liam's eyes rolled to the back of his head and his body went limp (gulp) that was it. I've never seen Mommy move so fast. We were both in the car on our way to the ER before I could blink.
Once we got to the hospital this nice man offered to help Mommy carry me in since her hands were full with Liam (who was screaming by this point). So she let this total stranger (he was wearing a hospital badge and tie and carrying a briefcase so she figured he was ok) take me in. Turned out he was the CEO of the hospital.
Anyway, we got settled in our room and the doctors and nurses all came in to look at Liam. Definitely needed a CT scan but it would require him to lay still for 1 minute - ha. YOU try telling a 2-year-old to stay still for 1 minute let along 2 seconds. So they tried to sedate him with some oral medication. Hello? Have you seen my brother? He's an ox. It was going to take more than that to calm him down. Plus the taste of the medicine made him vomit. And boy can he blow chunks. Mommy got the brunt of it (spinach/cheese omelet with sausage) but Nurse Cathy didn't walk away clean. I just cried (throw up freaks me out). So Mommy had to wear a hospital gown and I got to go hang out with all the triage nurses until Uncle Mike and Sherrie came to get me*.
Throwing up concerned the doctor (and Mommy) so we really needed to get the CT scan. So my brave big brother Liam had to be put under. Boy did that put Mommy over the top - especially when the doctor started telling her about possible complications. Very, very, very scary for Mommy. But she survived and so did Liam. The doctor, nurse and Mommy were there with him the entire time. And Mommy held him until he woke up. When he opened eyes, looked at Mommy and tried to take the gum out of Mommy's mouth (she didn't get a chance to even brush her teeth - yuck), she knew he was ok.
The doctor came in with the good news that he was just fine. HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF.
Mommy knows this probably won't be the last time we see the inside of the ER, but for now she's so glad it's over. Just look at our sweet little Liam...
* Uncle Mike and Sherrie 'act' like they don't know what to do with kids, but they do. Heck, they put me in my car seat without help, figured out how to put juice in my sippy cup, kept me entertained, changed my diaper and put me down for a nap. Mommy's discovered new babysitters!!! Thanks again for all your help today -- aren't you glad we moved here?
10 comments:
My God Nikki. Just reading this got my heart going and the tears flowing.How awful for you. Thank God our Liam is fine and had a hard head - does that mean he will be hard headed? Chris's son? nah.
You were brave. Lucy was brave and our little man was brave.
I love you all, and will see you in July.
Auntie Neannie
Woe, Nikki. That sounded really scary, but you did great in responding to the problem. I'm in Tulsa, visiting the grandkids. Toeby sends her love and said you performed perfectly. She had the same experience with Vivian, who slipped out of Jeff's hands and landed on her head on the floor, and had to go to the emergency room, too. Kids are tough, thank God. We're all glad everything is okay. Love, Uncle Bob
Oops, sorry, Nik. I meant "Wow," not "Woe." Guess I was in too much of a hurry. Love, UB
My precious little angel....you look so exhausted in your pic. Gpa and I hate that we were so far away and unable to help. I can imagine how scared everyone must have been...but mom stayed tuff (most of the time). Thank God everything is ok and double thanks that Uncle Mike and Sherrie we're there to help so quickly.....Everyone was a real trouper...even you little Lucy. I hear you were a perfect little girl and did a perfect summersault (sp) for Uncle Mike and Sherrie....way to go everyone.
Oh my gosh, Nikkie, I cried and laughed when I read your post. You did a great job describing all the events and we can see the tough and loving Nikki we know and love shining through! So glad the little dude is OK...one more initiation to motherhood that you've passed with flying colors!xoxoxox
Oh, Liam...Lucy and Nikki! I'm so, so sorry you all had to go through that. How scary for sure. I'm so glad to hear Liam is okay though. What a tough little lad! This just brought tears to my eyes...take care. BJ
Phew - my heart missed a beat when I read this. Thank goodness Liam! Your mommy was so calm & acted so quickly. Aunt Steph tells me that you helped as well Lucy.
Lots of love grandad
Oh my gosh, that is awful. I cannot imagine how scary that was. I'm glad to hear Liam is feeling better, and that the CT scan was normal. Boys...!
Oh my! That really does sound awful! My mum says that children are good at bouncing back though! I fell down the stairs when I was little, and drank some record cleaner too, but hey, I turned out fine...so far! Love from your cousin Lauren in Australia xxx ooo
Liam's a tough little guy, just like his momma (I think I've seen you hit your head few times, and look how fabulous you turned out!). Its a good thing kids have that "bounce" factor! Ok, though no more bouncing now, none of yous! Love & miss you guys! xoxo -Kim & Kelly
Post a Comment